United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Trip

Our annual trip to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum – an incredible opportunity for a powerful educational experience and a life-changing event.

This entry was posted in USHMM Trip. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Trip

1. Michael says:

Last year Chris and I were fortunate to be a part of the Cohen Center’s trip to the museum.

I am positive that I could never have fully experienced the museum without the knowledge, experience, and efforts of Paul Vincent, Theresa Masiello, and Anna Tilton.

From the movies on the bus to the discussions at lunch or dinner, opportunities always existed for learning, sharing reactions, and asking questions.

Two suggestions for your time at the museum.

First, spend too much time in the multi-story room where the walls are completely covered in photographs. Look into the eyes. Hundreds of eyes that saw both the beauty of summer days and the unimaginable horror of genocide.

Second, allow at least fifteen minutes for The Hall of Remembrance. It can be overwhelming.

While I was there a large group of energetic and talkative students, I would guess middle school, approached the wall with the eternal flame. Almost immediately, they went silent. No teacher had to quiet them. The messages on the wall and from the flame did. Remembering what they never knew.

One of the inscriptions in the Hall of Remembrance is from Deuteronomy 30:18. I think I copied it correctly. “I call heaven and earth to witness this day. I have put before you life and death, blessing and curse. Choose life that you and your offspring shall live.”

Choose to get all you can from this incredible opportunity.

2. Theresa says:

Here are a few of the comments from those who attended the trip this year:

“The experience of the USHM is one that all should have – it changes one’s perceptions about things we thought we knew.”

“The museum is amazing but I don’t think going for that long of a time allows for as much reflection. It all hits you once you’ve walked outside and it just falls apart.”

“Thank you for this incredible opportunity! Many things fell into place for me- but at the same time so many more questions came up – questions without answers. I’m afraid a human being can’t come away from the memorial without it changing something within.”

“What an important experience. In light of all the horrors, you leave with a sense of how we should approach the world.”

“It was a meaningful experience. I’m glad we had the whole day there, as I was able to read each exhibit carefully. Thank you for this opportunity.”

“It’s been a privilege to be with this group. The Holocaust was a result of people not choosing to think, feel, and act independently. I was interested to learn that Denmark saved 9/10th of its Jewish population.”

3. Theresa says:

A few more…

“It was a truly powerful experience that I will never forget.”

“At such a critical time in our Country’s history with presidential elections looming, it was disturbing to learn about our government’s initial ignorance to the horrors of the Holocaust. Make your vote count.”

“Even after the second visit I find I understand even less how humans are capable of such hatred, dehumanization and brutality, but I am forever touched by the compassion displayed by others, especially the children of today.”

“A very powerful moment in my life.”

“It’s still difficult to wrap my mind around all that occured, but there was a personality about the Museum which made it very real and powerful.”

“The Museum was an abrupt awakening and shocking realization I will never forget.”

“An extremely powerful experience – one that I will hold on to for the rest of my life.”

4. Theresa says:

“Only guard yourself and guard your soul
    carefully, lest you forget the things your
    eyes saw, and lest these things depart
    your heart all the days of your life. And you
    shall make them known to your children,
    and your Children’s children.”
    Deuteronomy

This was my second trip to the USHMM. I was only able to make it through part of the Museum. On the third floor I stopped to revisit a picture that had deeply affected me last year – an image of Russian prisoners with tattoos on their chest. Their eyes burned into mine. Directly across was an image of survivors, showing the tatoos on their forearms.

Those who survived and those who did not. I cried for those prisoners who did not survive. I looked deeply into their eyes, I remembered them, and again I told them I would not forget them. Then I left the Museum. I could go no further.

5. nina says:

This was my third time going on this trip and i had a fantastic time on it once again. The special little piece about this trip was I had the ability to share the Holocaust museum with someone who had never been and did not know much about the Holocaust. I had the ability to explain and show the different things the Jews went through during this time. Since I will be graduating with a teaching degree, it felt very nice to be able to teach this information to someone new. I would also like to thank Dr. Paul Vincent for the wonderful three years we went on the trip together. I enjoyed myself every year and I will miss it next year. Thank you once again and I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants to learn something new!