Keene State College fosters, encourages, and promotes student, faculty, and staff involvement within local and global communities. We do this through the provision of service-learning courses, community-based research, community service, and innovative programs and resources. Keene State College is deeply committed to educating toward a lifelong commitment to service, civic engagement, and social responsibility in every member of our community, as stated in our motto, “Enter to Learn Go Forth to Serve.” While the goals are multifaceted, our programs serve to provide knowledge about service resources and community issues in Keene, the Monadnock region of New Hampshire, and on the national and global scale.
Community Engagement at Keene State College is designed to inspire, teach, and engage students in the processes of leadership and citizenship by creating a framework in which faculty and students can connect in the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, national and global partners.
Through meaningful community experiences, research, and seminars, students:
• Develop a personal understanding of the processes and purposes of leadership and citizenship;
• Apply and practice leadership through community experience, guided reflections, and group work;
• Explore leadership in relation to community development and public policy ;
• Critically evaluate and reflect on personal roles in the community;
• Through field experience, explore and develop the skills necessary to be effective in the leadership process