KSC Mourns the Loss of Susan Herman

Dr. Susan Herman (photo by Mark Corliss)

We are saddened to learn that Dr. Susan Herman, professor emerita of Management, passed away early this morning, June 24th. Dr. Herman was an energetic and engaged teacher, professional, traveler, outdoorswoman, and cook. The KSC Human Resources office uses her 1994 book, Hiring Right, as a sound basis for the College’s recruiting protocols. Dr. Herman was also an important catalyst in the evolution of the Cohen Center for Holocaust Studies, which established the Susan J. Herman Award for Leadership in Holocaust & Genocide Awareness this past April to honor her vital contributions to its work.

Dr. Paul Vincent, professor of Holocaust studies and history, mentioned a meeting with Dr. Herman in early spring, when she was still undergoing tests for pancreatic cancer in Boston. He recalled a statement she made that summed up the strength of her character: “You know, Paul, I want to live. But if that’s not to be, I’ve had a wonderful life.”

“The world is a dimmer place without the magic of her life,” Dr. Vincent said.

For a wealth of photos and information from Susan and her family, including notification of upcoming memorial services in Dorchester, Mass., and Keene, visit her Caring Bridges web pages.

If you remember this warm and wonderful teacher, please use the “comments” link below to let us know, and visit the Cohen Center for Holocaust Studies blog to leave and read memories.

13 thoughts on “KSC Mourns the Loss of Susan Herman

1. Professor Herman was my favorite. She challenged us and was engaged in her class. She will be missed. Keene ’93

2. I have fond memories of Professor Herman. She was approachable, friendly, intelligent, and energetic. I learned so much from her that I have used throughout my professional career. My thoughts are with her family

3. I used to work for the management department while I was a student and Professor Herman was a delight to work for. My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

4. Dr. Herman was the first advisor of Delta Nu Psi, now Psi Epsilon, the first and only co-ed greek organization at Keene State. She saw our vision back in 1988-1989 and was very supportive. Personally, I will never forget when a small group of us went to her house. We were doing some outside work, with her right there with us, and as we were all talking, she was bringing up specific qualities about each person there. She said to me that someone had told her that if Heather said she will be there, that I would definitely be there. I’ve thought about that statement often in the past 20 years, and she was right. She pulled the best and the obvious out of all of us, and always stated the qualities we all didn’t realize we had. I’m very sorry for her passing and my heart is with all of her family

5. Professor Herman was a remarkable instructor, leader and friend. I took her Organizational Behavior class and was never so challenged and inspired all in one. My prayers and thoughts go out to her family and loved ones. תנוח על משכבה בשלום
    KSC 1998

6. Professor Herman was more than a teacher, she was a friend. She taught me more than the skills I needed to succeed after college; she taught me inner strength and confidence which is something that will never leave me.
    – Cynthia Woods, Class of ’96

7. Professor Herman was a such a warm and welcoming woman. She invited me into her home for dinners as a student. We found that our worlds crossed far beyond the classrooms at Keene. My thoughts are with her family. Keene ’05

8. Professor Herman was an amazing teacher. I learned so much from her. I only took one class with her, but it inspired my career in Human Resources. I am sad that I never got to share my success with her.

9. Susan was a mentor, advisor, professor and friend. I first met her while I was taking her Human Resources class. I then proceeded to take any other class she taught! As an “adult learner” it was not always easy to find my way on campus. Susan took me under her wing, helped me find my way and encouraged me every step of the way on my ten year journey! I will never forget seeing her standing there proud as I came off the stage on that May day in 1999. She was smiling and reached out to hug me to say “I knew you could do it”. She repeated that phrase to me many, many times when I lost my way. Susan is the reason that I learned to love Keene State and the reason I have continued to be involved today. She taught me the true meaning of “Enter to Learn, Go forth to Serve” . She was a true inspiration. I am truly saddened that I did not have the opportunity to say goodbye and to tell her how much she inspired me. I know she is smiling down on all of us – and that she is correcting my grammar in this paragraph!

Fondly,

Debbie Murray ’99

10. Professor Herman had such an impact on my college career and beyond. She was a wonderful influence and mentor who was greatly admired. Her passing is such a loss for the all those who knew her. My thoughts and prayers to her family~ KSC ’95

11. I will never forget the two classes I had with Professor Herman. Bar none the most difficult classes I took at Keene, may have been the best two as well. The cause of my only all nighter, she had a way of challenging and successfully motivating just about everyone in her class. My thoughts and prayers to her family. She will be dearly missed.

Eric von der Linden ’00

12. I was deeply saddened to learn of Susan’s death in the KSCNewsline magazine. She was one of my favorite professors at KSC. What a remarkable person and amazing teacher! She was intelligent, thoughtful, engaging, creative, kind, compassionate, challenging…amazing. Susan inspired genuine love of learning and critical thinking among her students, and I was charged with enthusiasm as a result of all I learned in her classes. I was incredibly lucky to have had two classes with her. Twenty years later, I believe that I am still learning from her examples and all that she shared with her students. My thoughts and prayers go out to Susan’s family and those who were touched by her life.