Nona Fienberg a Visiting Scholar in Krakow

Thanks to generous support from the Faculty Development Grant fund, Professor Nona Fienberg (Holocaust & Genocide Studies) will be in Poland from Nov. 8–26 as a visiting scholar, primarily at Jagiellonian University, in Krakow.

“I’m giving an invited lecture that I call ‘Present! Scenes of Instruction in Ghetto Romance,'” Dr. Fienberg said. “Given the central place of books and study in Jewish identity, I examine scenes of instruction in the ghetto—both clandestine and officially recognized—in streets, garret classrooms, kitchens, and underground hiding spaces. Jews studied in Yiddish, Polish, and Hebrew and created art and literature even as the catastrophe unfolded in the ghettos.”

“My texts are memoirs, novels, and interviews with survivors: Julian Stryjkowski, Chava Rosenfarb, Bogdan Wojdowski, and Hanna Krall. I’ll be visiting (auditing) classes in English and visiting sites of an all-but-destroyed once-vibrant world of Polish Jews that had been built and thrived for more than 500 years. I’ll be working on the article out of the lecture and will develop new courses on ‘Women and Gender in the Holocaust’ and ‘Representing the Warsaw Ghetto’ for my new role as a department member in Holocaust and Genocide Studies.”

“I plan to tweet, and will try to take pictures. Follow the tweets,” she added. You can follow her on Twitter @nonafienberg.

2 thoughts on “Nona Fienberg a Visiting Scholar in Krakow

1. Dear Prof Fienberg

I am very interested in your proposed lecture. As an amateur genealogist/historian I am about to complete an ‘essay’ on Jewish education in Krakow. With end notes it runs to about 14 pages single line space. The sources I have seen indicate that instruction was almost entirely religious. I would therefore like to know what secular education took place.

Hopefully you will be able to help me. Also please let me know if you would like to see my efforts at writing.

Kind regards

Geoffrey Weisgard, Manchester, UK
    weisgard@hotmail.com

2. Dear Prof Fienberg

I am very interested in your proposed lecture. As an amateur genealogist/historian I am about to complete an ‘essay’ on Jewish education in Krakow. With end notes it runs to about 14 pages single line space. The sources I have seen indicate that instruction in the ghetto was almost entirely religious. I would therefore like to know what secular education took place.

Kind regards

Geoffrey Weisgard, Manchester, UK
    weisgard@hotmail.com