In Memoriam: Kay MacLean H’04

Kay MacLean
Kay MacLean

The Keene State community is deeply saddened by the loss of Kay MacLean H’04, the former assistant director for Alumni and Parent Relations, who passed away Friday night, March 7. Kay came to work at Keene State in February 1995 and continued until her medical issues prompted her retirement in April 2013. She had a colorful career prior to joining KSC and served as a paralegal, a surgical nurse, and a researcher. She had earned her nursing credentials from Muskegon Community College in Michigan and a BS in Business Administration from Trinity College in Burlington, Vt.

“Kay was an important member of the Alumni and Parent Relations team for more than 15 years,” said Patty Farmer, director of Alumni and Parent Relations. “She is loved and admired by hundreds of alumni for her strong ties to the Golden Circle Society membership, Board leadership, and volunteers. She is also well known for her Reunion Weekend leadership and panache with special events. She and her husband, adjunct faculty member and Keene City Manager John MacLean, have shown their devotion as members of the KSC community in many ways.”

Kay took great pride in the events she coordinated and in the connections she made with alums. She was a fierce friend, a strong advocate, a tireless worker for alumni interests, and a great representative of Keene State College.

7 thoughts on “In Memoriam: Kay MacLean H’04

1. So sorry to hear about Kay’s passing. Kay was instrumental in brining me in and helping me find ways to be a more active member of our Alumni. She stregnthened my relationship with KSC and I will always be grateful for her.

Sincerely-

Scott Ettl ’96

2. So sad to hear of Kay’s passing. She was a pleasure to work with at the Alumni Center. I was glad to have seen her at JP Stephens Golden Circle Luncheon this past November. Sincere condolences to her family.

3. Again – my sincere thanks to Kay – for her expert help in “organizing” the two reunions of the KSC Jazz Ensemble – she was a super colleague – most efficient – which made my former ensemble’s reunions a wonderful experience for all of us. She is missed by all of us who knew her and worked with her……. Bill

4. It is still difficult to believe we have lost Kay MacLean. Kay was so warm and witty and so intelligent. She helped bring together one of the best Jazz Ensemble Reunions and I adored working with her. Kay always made you feel your voice was heard and no matter where we met, a hug and a chat brightened my day. Kay MacLean will long be remembered and cherished as someone you could depend on and looked forward to seeing. Sending love and prayers to her family and many friends.

5. It doesn’t seem possible that Kay is gone. I sat next to her at the last Golden Circle Society luncheon in Rindge a little over 4 months ago. She looked fabulous, and her usual vibrant self, laughing and chatting with everyone! I will always treasure the memory of the terrific themes she worked up and executed each year for Alumni Weekend in June. She seemed to be every where, making sure everything was going smoothly. She was be sadly missed, but she will always be on the go, with a big smile , when I think of her. My sincere condolences to her family, and to the staff of KSC who loved her.

6. So sorry to learn of Kay’s death. She was a wonderful person and such a wonderful help to all us Alumni of Keene State College. We will miss her for a very long time.
    May our memories of her helpful ways and her ever smiling face be a reminder of her dedication to all of us graduates of Keene State College. Winnie

7. I am touched to read such a wonderful tribute to my dear aunt, Kay MacLean. She was always a special person in my life, and I am still struggling to accept that she is gone. On a couple of opportunities, I saw her ‘in action’ at Keene State and was so proud of what a wonderful event planner she was. I had the opportunity to meet some of her friends and colleagues and could see how much they all enjoyed working together. She leaves big shoes to fill and I know she will be remembered with great fondness for her dedication to KSC.