- Where is the Center for Writing located?
- How do I schedule an appointment?
- Do I need an appointment or can I just walk in?
- What types of assignments can I bring in?
- What can the tutors help me with?
- Can I request a specific tutor?
- How long are appointments scheduled for?
- Can we work on my paper from my laptop?
- Can I just drop off or email my paper?
- Will my professor know that I visited the Center?
Where is the Center for Writing located?
- The Center for Writing is located at 81 Blake Street, across from the Science Center parking lot.
How do I schedule an appointment?
You may speak to a tutor on the phone about scheduling an appointment by calling (603) 358-2412.
- Stop by
You may visit the Center to speak to a tutor in person about scheduling an appointment.
Do I need an appointment or can I walk in?
- Walk-in appointments are available on a first come, first served basis. However, as the semester progresses, appointment slots fill up quickly. If your class has an appointment requirement, or you want to guarantee that a certain time is available for your appointment, it is highly recommended that you set up an appointment ahead of time.
What types of assignments can I bring in?
- The assignments that students bring to the Center for Writing are typically writing-based. Most frequently, students bring in course assignments, research papers and essays, though some students bring writing that they are working on outside of classes. Tutors who work at the Center are trained to work with writing assignments regardless of the discipline the assignment is geared towards.
What can the tutors help me with?
- Students are able to bring in any writing assignment at any stage of the writing process. Some examples of the types of appointments frequently scheduled include:
- Offering feedback on the organization or language of a draft
- Citation help (i.e. MLA, APA, Chicago)
- Offering feedback on grammar/style
- And more!
Can I request to work with a specific tutor?
- Absolutely. Students are encouraged to request to work with a specific tutor if they believe it will make them more comfortable.
How long are appointments scheduled for?
- All appointments are scheduled for 30 or 50 minutes.
Can we work on my paper from my laptop?
- We request that students bring in a hard copy of their paper when they come in for an appointment.
Can I just drop off or email my paper for a tutor to read through and edit?
- No. The Center for Writing does not serve as an editing service. One-on-one appointments enable students to not only have a second set of eyes to look over their paper, but help expand upon ideas, which is best done through conversation.
Will my professor know that I visited the Center for Writing?
- Yes, unless the student requests otherwise or the writing is not for a course, tutors send brief feedback forms to the course professor. If the appointment is required, students can be assured that their professors will be notified that they fulfilled that course requirement.